About Me

My photo
I love to write, it is my passion. I've now been published twice and I plan on becoming a world-renown author once out of high school. I also plan on becoming a high school English teacher because I live for English and Lit.

Thursday, August 2, 2012

"In The Pouring Rain"

My newest story :) I'll be posting a few more stuff on here later. By the way, I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with my book reviews. I've just had so many to read! If you want to read and find my ratings, go here: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/9764834-sarah
In the mean time, have fun with this story :)




I could hear my heels clicking on the tile floor as I walked down the dead silent hall at school. No one said anything, but I could feel they were staring at me.
I am a freak now, and I can’t take it back.

***
He was just a boy who loved music and I was a girl who could have done better.  Joshua Frazier made music in his house with his best friend, and he didn’t have a girlfriend. Nor did he want one, or so the rumors said. But deep down inside me, I just couldn’t resist.
It wasn’t this way at the beginning, though.
***
I was at a football game, cheering on my home crowd, when I saw Joshua. I don’t know what it was about him, but I felt this urge to go talk to him. I instantly scolded myself. No, Megan; you have a boyfriend, and he doesn’t want a girlfriend. Don’t bother. But all through the game, I couldn’t take my eyes off him. He had his computer out with headphones on sometimes. I guess he was working on something with Florin, his best friend, because they looked deep in thought as they occasionally pointed to the screen and shared the headphones. 
Heath approached me after the game and he wasn’t very happy. He noticed that I wasn’t watching the game and asked me about it.
“I’m sorry. I just wasn’t in the zone I guess.”
Heath changed, his expression moving from angry to concerned. “Are you okay?”
I didn’t realize it, but I felt kind of awkward and cold. I didn’t know what was going on, but I wasn’t about to tell Heath about Joshua. “Yeah, I’m fine. I guess I just need to get some sleep.”

Back at home a week later, lying on my bed, my head wouldn’t stop reeling. My heartbeat grew faster as I remembered he slight lingering gazes when he thought I wasn’t looking. He did that all week too, I remembered. I suddenly sat up, shaking my head as if that would clear it. I couldn’t do this anymore. I don’t know why I feel this way about Joshua, but I couldn’t deny it any further. It had been a week since the game, and I still couldn’t keep Joshua out of my head. I decided to do something about it in the morning, but I had to start with Heath.

I called Heath around noon, it being Saturday and he didn’t wake up until noon anyway. I asked if we could talk.
“But we are talking,” he said innocently, obviously sounding like he just woke up.
“I mean in person,” I sighed. I think he got the hint, because he agreed and we met at the closest park. I walked there but it was raining. Such luck was mine, but it is Seattle. I sat on a bench that wasn’t too wet and I waited for him to show up.
When he did, he didn’t have an umbrella, so I had to share mine.
“What did you want to talk about?” he sat close to me, keeping me warm.
He smelled so good; it almost broke my heart to do this to him. But with Joshua showing up and taking over my thoughts, I couldn’t keep it up.
“Us,” I said quietly, but I knew Heath heard me by the way his body stiffened.
“Am I doing something wrong?”
“No, it’s not even you anyways. It’s all me and I can’t do this to you anymore.” I tried not to cry.
“So why now?”
I thought about it for a moment. “I don’t even know where this came from, but I can’t deny my feelings.”
“Who is it?” He was spot on, and I felt bad for thinking he wasn’t that smart.
“Joshua Frazier.”
Heath turned to look at me, “Why him? He’s a freak!”
“I don’t know!” I shouted, standing up. “I don’t know why I feel this way, but I do! I can shut my ears to something I don’t want to hear, but I can’t stop my heart from feeling what it wants to feel.” I shuddered from the sudden lack of heat on my right side where Heath had been sitting. “Good bye, Heath. I hope there’s no bad blood between us.” I walked away in the strengthening rain, leaving Heath behind me.

Monday, I was shunned. People never talked when I was in the hall. It was so quiet; you could hear a pin drop from the other end. They stared at me like I was limited edition, and inside I was breaking. I had never not had friends but now I guess I would learn how to deal without them. I felt like a freak, and I couldn’t change it.
 In class, Joshua sat next to me, and my heart raced despite the circumstances.
“How are you?” he asked with a cute smile.  His deep blue eyes were shining and his dark red-brown hair was sticking up stylishly. I couldn’t say anything, so I shook my head. He frowned and laughed a little, playfully bumping my shoulder with his. “Being ignored by people isn’t the worst thing to happen, believe me. It’ll get better.” Florin came in, but had to sit on my other side.
“Hey, dude, are we going –“
Joshua held up a finger, making him wait, “In a minute, bro. Megan, will you look at me, please?”
I made my eyes meet his and I tried not to blush. “Yes?”
“You’re an amazing person and I don’t know why anyone would want to ignore you. I know for a fact that I wouldn’t ignore you, no matter what you did. Do you want to talk about it?”
I shrugged but the bell cut off my response. He made a writing gesture and I took the hint. I began to write a note. I told him how I broke up with Heath. I threw it onto his desk. He smiled and wrote me back.
What was the reason?
I like someone else.
Would you care to tell me?
I paused, though I knew I had to tell him sometime.
I like you.
He didn’t respond. The suspense we killing me, but at the end of class he gave the note back before falling into step with Florin who instantly began talking about getting together to write more beats. So that’s what they did: They wrote music together.
I opened the note, my hands shaking, but the response was not one I expected.
Meet me in front of the school after fourth period.
So, after fourth period, I walked outside into the pouring rain. Joshua waited for me under a tree, his hair soaked.
“You wanted to meet?” I had forgotten my umbrella today, which was dumb. It always rains in Seattle.
“Yeah, I did,” he smiled and pulled me under the tree.
“So?”
“I like you too,” he whispered.
My breath left me and my eyes were wide. He laughed and pulled me into his chest. “You don’t have to say anything.”
“I don’t need to,” I smiled and kissed him in the rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment